Special Coverage Considerations

While our Producers Insurance Program provides coverage for the majority of your operations, there are some productions that may involve the use of special property or high risk locations or hazardous operations.

These unusual risks may not be covered unless endorsed on the policies, as most policies require that the company be notified of any “hazardous” or dangerous situations which may cause an increase in the likelihood of a claim. When in doubt, contact your Insurance Representative.

It may be necessary to arrange special coverage which may involve an additional premium. The additional premiums will depend on the exposures at risk, the type of coverage, the location and term of coverage needed and other variables. In order to get a premium quotation, as much information as possible must be supplied to underwriters including “who, what, where, when and how”.

To develop a proposal for you, especially with special coverage needs, you must provide as much detail as possible including a full budget and production schedule.

The following is a list of coverage which you may need which is not provided by a standard Production Insurance policy:

Talent Costs

If you are required to pay for talent cost for a re-shoot, as a result of any other claim covered by the Production policy and for which you did not originally pay the talent, you must have a Talent Cost Endorsement. This is much more common in the production of commercials where such ambiguities may arise between and among the production company, advertising agency and the client.


Whenever a production involves the use of an aircraft, you should notify your Insurance Representative. Non-Owned Aircraft Liability is required to provide legal liability for Bodily Injury and Property Damage to third parties arising from the use of the aircraft.

We suggest when hiring an aircraft, that you are added as an “Additional Insured” with a “Waiver of Subrogation” clause on the aircraft leasing company’s policy. Special attention should be paid to aircraft charter agreements and leasing contracts so that you understand what you are liable for with or without insurance.


If a Charter Pilot is provided by the leasing company, you should not be held responsible for any physical damage to the aircraft hull. However, if you do not use the Charter Pilot provided by the leasing company, you will be likely be required to provide all the insurance coverage, both aircraft liability and hull physical damage. Primary aircraft liability and physical damage is difficult and time consuming to arrange, in addition to being costly. Be sure to contact your Insurance Representative well in advance if this coverage will be needed.


Animal actors are required to have insurance just like their human counterparts. If you are planning a shoot using animals, the animal actor company may require you to provide Animal Mortality Insurance while in your employ. You will need to provide the following information:

  • The type and number of animals used.
  • The insurable value of each animal.
  • Description of the scenes the animals will be in.
  • The total duration of the animal use.
  • A Veterinary Certificate from the owner.
  • Who will be handling the animal during the filming operations.

If you are planning a nature shoot of animal life, you should take the necessary precautions to protect yourself while in their natural habitat.


The Commercial General Liability policy usually provides coverage for non-owned use of watercraft up to 26 feet. Should you require the use of any watercraft in excess of 26 feet, additional coverage is required.

As with aircraft, when leasing a watercraft with a Master and crew, you should have yourself included as an “Additional Insured” on the policy covering the boat. If you are required to provide the Master and crew (bare boat charter) it will be necessary for you to provide the Liability (Protection and Indemnity) as well as physical damage to the boat (Hull). It is always recommended that any watercraft be leased with a Master and crew.


Railroads, such as AMTRAK require that production companies provide them with a specific Liability policy called Railroad Protective Liability for filming on or near railroad property. If you are doing anything around a large railroad, be sure to contact your Insurance Representative well in advance.

Railroad Protective Liability is NOT covered under your Commercial General Liability policy.

Unusual Hazards/ Stunts and Pyro

There is specific wording on all policies relating to increases in hazards. There are many exclusions and limitations especially for hazardous operations such as precision driving, stunts, climbing and rigging, the use of fireworks and pyrotechnics and dangerous filming locations, such as war zones, remote areas, mountain climbing expeditions, use of prototype equipment and such.

Foreign Filming Locations

U.S. Liability policies provide coverage on a (limited) worldwide basis. Coverage applies wherever the loss occurs, but will only provide legal defense and payment of judgments if the suit is brought against you in the U.S. If you are sued in a foreign country, there is no coverage under domestic (USA) liability policies.

If you are filming abroad, we suggest a specific foreign liability policy which can also include some foreign Employers Liability coverage, extended voluntary Workers Compensation coverage for U.S. nationals such as emergency evacuation and 24 hour legal and medical assistance. Many foreign jurisdictions have Employers Liability and Workers Compensation statutes that must be adhered to if local nationals are being hired. Always discuss foreign operations with your Insurance Representative.

Political Risk

Production Insurance does not cover Political Risks, such as Confiscation, Expropriation, Seizure by Government Authority, willful Destruction or Deprivation.

Extra Expenses can be incurred in the event you are ordered to leave the country either by order of the Government, revocation of permits, licenses and permission and unable to complete your shoot.

Kidnap/Ransom is another consideration for traveling into areas where there is known terrorist activities and military conflicts. Americans, especially, have often been the targets. Careful consideration should be given when traveling to dangerous locations.

War Risks

War risks are not covered under any standard policy. Limited coverage may be available depending upon the country and circumstances. If think you need any of these coverages, you must make arrangements well in advance.

Production Cancellation

This coverage is not just for celebrities and entertainment events. Contingency insurance can be used to cover financial losses as a result of the cancellation or postponement of events beyond your control; or the death, injury or illness of key people which would adversely affect your production.

Adverse Weather

Adverse Weather insurance can be purchased for extra expenses and aborted expenses as a result of cancellation or postponement of filming or taping.

Working with Children

Children are subject to strict labor laws and required to be given extraordinary care while working on a production. There is no coverage for disability benefits or loss of income for persons under the age of 16. Cast insurance usually excludes childhood diseases, such as chicken pox, measles, mumps, and such, and special coverage will undoubtedly be needed.

  • “We are very happy with the service of C&S. The staff is very responsive and takes care of any requests quickly and professionally.”
       —  Sunny Han, Producer, Local Tiger International Co., Ltd., Taiwan